Monday 4 December 2017

Winter head wear

While some parts of the northern hemisphere are experiencing bitter cold with snow and ice, other parts are warmer and still others are experiencing temperatures that some of us would be glad to see in summer, let alone winter. However this week I am going to concentrate on head coverings for those in cold climates.
I have been looking up various types of hoods which can be worn outside in winter, whether it is just windy or if it's icy outside, and can also be worn indoors if, like me, you prefer to add an extra layer or two rather than turn up the thermostat on the heating and suffer the higher bills that come with increased warmth.

There are a number of different solutions out there, from fur lined hoods to pull on woollen hats, but as I find I suffer earache if out in the wind or cold (and that includes indoors) and also that a cold neck and shoulders aggravate my arthritis this is a subject close to my heart. I spent quite a lot of time yesterday looking different varieties of head coverings, and also at the number of patterns that are out there for those keen to make their own. I also looked at coats and capes or cloaks but that is for another day.

I finally decided on a couple of different solutions. One is a simple hood and shoulder cape, based on those worn in mediaeval times which can be fastened either in the front or down the back of the head. I finally managed to come up with a design that can be worn with comfort (I will admit here to making mine with no fastenings although I might put some on the next version just to be different) both indoors and outdoors underneath either a head scarf worn tied underneath the chin or at the nape of the neck. It could also be worn by those who routinely cover their heads either for religious, medical or other personal reasons. I am also going to be tempted to wear it when I play dress-up at historical gatherings (should look fairly authentic as the wimple part of a wimple and veil ensemble so evident in mediaeval pictures).
,

Below are a couple of drawings showing how to make a basic pattern for a couple of different
outdoor hoods showing the measurements you need to take and the basic shape you need to draw on
your pattern paper. From there you can adapt as desired. There are also a couple of adaptations shown, these are based on ideas I have come up with for hoods for different people, for example my daughter who will wear one outdoors if it's really cold but will take it off the instant we either get into a warm car or building. I wear one all the time unless it is really hot, my arthritis seems to like it when my neck and shoulders are covered, and in the cold this means with as many layers as I can reasonably wear.



There are also the two patterns I've made, the first for the wimple and the second for the hood without a coat. Mine will be in two different fabrics, not nylon, and will be quilted for warmth. It will also be one that can be worn with either side showing and will have a matching coat, but by being separates both items will be more flexible (my daughter seldom wears a coat but will wear a hood or scarf to keep her hair in place when windy or raining out).


So look at the drawings, take your own measurements and make your own simple patterns and on to your own hoods.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice,I'm agree that ppl need it at winter time but also I experienced some of ladies need it for there medical reasons and it's hard to find these kind of scarf plus the prices r very high so good job my friend.Stay blessed

    ReplyDelete

Winter head wear While some parts of the northern hemisphere are experiencing bitter cold with snow and ice, other parts are warmer and...