Sunday 5 November 2017

Recycle and Pattern Hack Threadcount Pattern #1608

This week I decided to do a pattern hack, I have a lovely duvet cover I was given and my daughter had fallen in love with both the fabric and the pattern in my stash box. As the pattern only goes up to a size 14 (UK) and my daughter is a 54" bust I first had to redraw the pattern pieces (2 of them) to fit which was a fairly easy task.  I chose to make view C, the top which goes from high on one side to knee length on the other and is begging to be made in a bright flowy fabric. With winter coming I decided now was the right time. The fabric is a polyester so will be warm enough to wear over a skirt or jeans/trousers indoors or under a cardigan outdoors and bright enough to cheer anybody up on a miserable winter's day.


I cut the fabric out taking care to leave some free around the edges so that I can cut out a use some of the flowers to applique onto another top (note: turmeric doesn't come out of fabric so needs to be covered over when it stains) which will in turn make another shop bought top look different to any others.

I followed the pattern sewing instructions but it was easy to do. I remade the neck facings and made them longer so that they covered the armholes as well but apart from that it was easy sewing all the way. The fact that this top only has a front and a back is easy although the shaped hem could be a pain to sew if using a thicker fabric.


I then made another garment in the same fabric but this time with sleeves. The pattern is sleeveless so I made sleeves based on a picture I had seen in an advertisement for sewing threads. They are loose enough that a long sleeve T-shirt can be worn underneath if the weather is really nippy outside. I also made a false hem, really a facing for the hem line, I had found the shaping of the original pattern hem to be  awkward when turning up a hem, especially when sewing the polyester which frays like mad and really needs a decent double hem. (I did french seams on both items).

As you can see the finished garment looks lovely and cheerful, it was fast to sew (I cut and sewed both garments in an evening)  and I will certainly make it again. I would also consider redrafting some of the other items in the pattern envelope as this one came out so well and it would make for a lovely summery wardrobe for next year.  I can thoroughly recommend this pattern and would willing make more of their items in the future. In fact, I will be making this top in the near future only this time using 2 different cottons and with long loose sleeves and a maxi hem, it will look good over a pair of fitted slacks and dressy enough to wear out over Christmas. Definitely a pattern to keep and a designer I will be looking at for more patterns to use. My only complaint is that they only go up to a UK 14 in size, anyone larger will need to redraft as I did, but that is a small price to pay for a great design.

Until next week, have a great time and take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Winter head wear While some parts of the northern hemisphere are experiencing bitter cold with snow and ice, other parts are warmer and...